help-libidn

Re: libidn2 tr#46 support

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: libidn2 tr#46 support
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 09:23:42 +0100

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <address@hidden> writes:

> Something else quite related as all authors are in CC... does it make
> sense to combine libidn2 functionality with libunistring?

My perspective is that libidn2 should contain all IDNA2008 related
functionality any network application needs.  This requires exporting
some native Unicode APIs (like NFC).  The big missing piece is TR46
though.  If all of this would end up in libunistring I'm happy, but I
can sympathise with Daiki's concerns that adding non-Unicode stuff to
libunistring appears unclean.  I think libunistring is quite big
already.  Implementations of IDNA2008 uses tables that adds size
further.  But I don't care strongly, having things implemented and easy
to use is more important.

/Simon