[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: libidn2 support

From: Tim Ruehsen
Subject: Re: libidn2 support
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 10:15:22 +0100
User-agent: KMail/5.2.3 (Linux/4.8.0-2-amd64; KDE/5.28.0; x86_64; ; )

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 8:59:39 AM CET Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Den Tue, 06 Dec 2016 17:03:04 +0100
> skrev Re: libidn2 support:
> > On Monday, December 5, 2016 10:00:32 AM CET Simon Josefsson wrote:
> > > Hi again.  I have added you now.  There is no real work going on
> > > with libidn2, but Hanno Böck said he may have found more
> > > security vulnerabilities, so it would be nice to be able to do a
> > > quick security release if needed.  Therefor, it appears preferrable
> > > to push your stuff to a branch meanwhile.  I'm happy to review when
> > > it is on a branch, and hopefully we can make test releases from the
> > > branch too.
> > 
> > Hi Simon,
> > 
> > just put my stuff into 4 different branches within your Gitlab repo.
> Hi Tim.  Yay!
> > Please review/merge in this order:
> Very good to split things up, thank you.  Let's try to do low-hanging
> fruit one at a time.
> > # branch 'fixes'
> > - fix two crashes in lookup and register functions
> > - avoid tainting insertname/lookupname on error
> Can you write self-tests that trigger these issues?  That makes it much
> easier to evaluate the patches.

The crashes are absolutely obvious: Unchecked call to 
u8_strconv_from_locale(). Crashes on src==NULL.

A test for for the tainting issue needs to cover each single error condition 
that can happen. No covering all possibilities is half-baken.

Let's address such things in a future work-to-do, namely 'test code coverage'. 
I would suggest to add TravisCI (or whatever CI you prefer) and 
hooks. With that, it is much more straight forward to write exactly that test 
code that is needed.
I did so in other projects. Perhaps I find time to open up another branch.

> > - use binary search instead of linear search in idna table
> How much do the table grow by adding UNASSIGNED code points to the
> library size?  I like the patch in general, but I am concerned that it
> adds a lot of static size to the library. Is having the UNASSIGNED
> code points in the idna_table array really necessary?  It seems your
> search function results UNASSIGNED if result==NULL anyway? 
> I don't
> recall if there is any semantic difference between a code point that is
> UNASSIGNED and a code point that does not have any property at all.

I am puzzled... you always added UNASSIGNED to the static array. My patch 
removes it and saves space :-). That is why I don't like Perl scripts - the 
original authors can't read them any more after a while :-) Please don't take 
that too serious, just kidding a bit.

Number of entries omitted by my patch:
$ wget
$ grep -c UNASSIGNED idna-tables-5.2.0.txt 

$ wget
$ grep -c UNASSIGNED idna-tables-6.2.0.txt 


Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]