help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Web page, team profiles, weapons & voxels

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Web page, team profiles, weapons & voxels
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 09:05:25 +0200

Hi,

Le 03/09/11 20:22, Kasper Hviid a écrit :
Hello again!

Christian, I still haven't got that final website worked out, but in
the meantime heres some quick feedback. I'm truly impressed by your
recent activity ... wave effects, respawn-delay ... amazing! :-O
Attached a capture of the wave effect (not very impressive in static mode, but well...) and the wrap/polarity mode enabled on X-axis. Still needs some debugging as scrolling is still broken in some ways, but I do hope it will be OK for 0.0.11beta.

VOXELS
------

This is great news! I considered asking about the visual appearence of
fighters, but felt that you had too many balls in the air already. I
have played Minecraft, but I didn't even knew it was called voxels.
I'm very new to this. Designing 3D pixelart really sounds like fun ..
but a static 16*16*16 voxel seen from above is impossible to tell
apart from a 16*16 bitmap sprite ... how should we take advantage of
the 3D shape?
Well, there's still a difference. I think Blood and some other end-of-the-90's did use Voxel. AFAIK, Ken Silverman (http://advsys.net/ken/voxlap.htm) who developped the Build engine for Duke Nukem 3D did those "voxels in an otherwise classic FPS" trick. Well, anyway, the problem with sprites is that, like in DOOM, you end up drawing sprite at angle 0, then sprite at angle 45, 90, 135, well, 8 frames per sprite at least, and it does always look like a sprite. A voxel map will always look "as good" from any angle. And, if we have (I said "if") a voxel engine for LW, then we can view the map at any angle, have the camera rotate, zoom, whatsoever.

BTW, Minecraft engine, ain't a full voxel-based renderer, in fact the information is *stored* as voxels but renders the as vextices. It's fine and wise because triangles rendering is soooo accelerated these days. However, with the arrival of OpenMP (simplified interface to multithreaded/parralelized applications), OpenCL (access to video hardware for regular apps) voxel engines might use the recent hardware in a better way than in the 80s. Jon Olick has a nice demo on modern voxel capabilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEpAFGplnI

Additionnally, using nice voxel sprites might actually allow us to *downscale* maps. Let me explain: today a 320x180 map (the logicial one) might look pixelized, and naturally, the game tries to push the resolution to the maximum, resulting in melting CPUs and choppy animation. But the reality is that game is fun in 160x90, only finer resolution is here for eye candy, except on some very peculiar maps, but generally speaking, more than 100 000 points/squares in a map is just too much. So if we have a 320x180 map with voxel fighters, thenin a global view, with the perspective and such, we can imagine the closest fighters take something like 10x10 pixels, and the farest ones 2x2 pixels. This is very fine, the fighters in the back are mere points, the ones in the front appear with detail, that's all we want. And if you zoom, you can see the fight is hard between real fighters, the idea is to give the impression of a massive battle with many contenders, which is not only an impression, it's what LW really is, only current renderer doesn't show this obviously.

Makes sense?

SPECIAL EFFECTS
---------------

Some brainstorm about which visual effects could be applied when a
player uses his special action:

- Shaking of the screen
- Music video zoom: The camera zooms in and out quickly
- Fighters changes brightness randomly.
- Team cursors changes.
- Sound effects.
- Different wave effect
Yeah, thanks for those ideas, any special action should indeed have a customized (colorfull!) effect. I note your ideas.

TEAM COLORS
-----------

A few points irritates me, but I'm not sure anything can be done:

It is a bit confusing that Fast also increases the numbers of attacks
and thus makes the attacks stronger. So if I just want to make the
team move around faster, I would have to increase Fast, but I would
have to decrease Aggressive to make it stay somewhat the same.
I can change this, the "only" step it is divide the attack if speed is up. Might require an update on your rules.xml anyway...

I think Attack, Defence and Speed would sound more logical than
Aggressive, Vulnerable and Fast. But we have used those words for
other concepts ... sword, shield and shoes?
Well, that is programmer stuff, or at least my habits. I chose vulnerable because defense is already used somewhere (in the global settings) this way I know very fastm, when reading the code, when I read aggressive, that we're talking about the attack, but in the "attack per team, for profiles" context. I greatly simplifies coding and helps tracking bug, updating code etc.

Anyways ...

I have created a new set of team settings. It is based on the colors
position in the color circle. Long wavelength equals faster speed.
Cool, and thanks for the PDF, nice to have the explanation.

The settings are not perfect and adjustment will be needed, but each
team has a fixed concept, like "EXTREMELY fast, but also very
vulnerable." Red, green, and yellow has a single strong point. The
rest of the teams has a single strong point and a single weak point.
I'll try those, BTW it's easier to try with the current work in progress, which has a no-brainer "put me 9 bots on this map" option ;)

I have not used any neutral team this time. I felt it was an illusion
to declare a certain team the normal one. Sure, we could give a team
some average values and call it "normal". But calculating the average
skin color of humans does not mean that we have discovered the skin
color of "normal" humans. I felt that a "normal" color worked against
the asymmetrical concept.
I agree, neutral doesn't make sense. It's a theoricall "defaults" but probably does not have many practical applications. And it's conceptually disturbing.

The upload also contains a new fumes.png with a mirrored sky theme,
created with widescreen monitors in mind.
Does that mean there's something special to do in "widescreen" mode, do you think I should check for some width/height ratio before using this?

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden> - http://www.ufoot.org/ ___ __/\__