Re: Handling code generators

From: Sankaranarayanan K V
Subject: Re: Handling code generators
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 19:39:26 +0530

Hi,

Thanks very much, Paul.

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 05:14:01PM -0500, Paul D. Smith wrote:

> In this type of situation I think you'll have to use the auto re-exec
> feature of make.
>
> You'll have to have a way to discover what files are generated by the
> code generator; this can either be as a side effect of actually
> generating the code (more efficient) or a separate, "makedepend" kind of
> thing.

I think I could write a wrapper so that all generated files from
'a.spec' are put in a unique directory, say a.spec.dir. The wrapper will
be able to figure out what all got generated and change the CC_FILES
variable.

Which of the following would be better?

(1) CC_FILES = a.spec.dir/Foo.cc a.spec.dir/Bar.cc

or

(2) CC_FILES = Foo.cc Bar.cc
    # the wrapper script moves the files from a.spec.dir to ..

If I use the first one, I can easily write a 'clean' target:

clean::
        rm -rf a.spec.dir

> Here's how you could do it if you had the former (results as a
> side-effect of doing the generation):

[snip]

Regards
Sankar