Re: Filename with whitespace

From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman
Subject: Re: Filename with whitespace
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 10:49:00 -0400

>       Because space is a hard delimiter in the code.
>
>       A workaround I use is to define a variable like so (But this does not
> always
> work)
>
>       spc=$(x) $(x)

Thanks for the note...but I think you misread my posting.  I already
pointed out that this:

  filename=two\ words

works just fine.  There's no need to resort to a $(spc) variable when a
simple backslash escape will work.  However, the problem for which I am
not aware of a solution is when you have files with names like:

  file one
  file two

And you want to perform wildcard expansion to get a list of these files:

  files=$(wildcard file*)

This won't work.

-- Lars