Re: Filename with whitespace

From: Jens Schweikhardt
Subject: Re: Filename with whitespace
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 17:47:17 +0200

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 10:49:00AM -0400, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
# >     Because space is a hard delimiter in the code.
# >
# >     A workaround I use is to define a variable like so (But this does not
always
# > work)
# >
# >     spc=$(x) $(x)
#
# Thanks for the note...but I think you misread my posting.  I already
# pointed out that this:
#
#   filename=two\ words
#
# works just fine.

No, it doesn't, at least not for all makes, e.g. BSD make:

$ cat Makefile
filename=two\ words

$(filename):
        @echo $@
$ make 'two\'
two\
$ make words
words
$ make 'two words'
make: don't know how to make two words. Stop

Paul, I wonder if BSD make or GNU make behaves according to SUSv3.
Shouldn't all macros be expanded while reading a target line?

Regards,

        Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt  http://www.schweikhardt.net/