RE: Filename with whitespace

From: Mike Gibson
Subject: RE: Filename with whitespace
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:07:06 -0600

> > The short answer is that GNU make (no UNIX-based make) can
> work with
> > filenames containing whitespace.
>
> But why is that?  It's not *that* unusual to encounter
> filenames with spaces these days, even on a Unix filesystem.
> Throw in environments like Cygwin or MacOS X, and it's
> positively common.

Really?  Is it?  Guess we didn't all notice spaces creeping into filenames
EVERYWHERE.  GUIs are everywhere too.  That doesn't mean that we should
revamp the entire UNIX toolset to be GUI compatible.

Just because it's common, doesn't make it right.  Why is that?  Because it
is.  If you don't like it, go somewhere else.  That's the way it's always
been.  It's most likely going to stay that way.  Just because some people
have made the mistake of putting spaces in filenames, doesn't mean that the
whole damn world should start accepting it.

Mike Gibson