is there a make system which uses database instead of Makefiles?

From: gk
Subject: is there a make system which uses database instead of Makefiles?
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 22:51:23 -0800

I was wondering if anyone on this list has info that could point me in a direction of research for a build system like gnu make which uses database records to gather dependency data, instead of the traditional Makefile approach, or in addition to using Makefiles.

I am working on a system which defines dependencies between data inside the database and external files, in a database.

Of course, I could write tools to generate Makefiles from the database dependency record information but it would be convenient if there were already a system which uses databases natively.

- Greg Keraunen
http://www.xmake.org