Re: Bug with intermediate files?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Bug with intermediate files?
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:32:57 -0500

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 12:07 +0330, ali hagigat wrote:
> You are mistaken, because if you remove:
> .INTERMEDIATE: my.gch
> Make will consider my.gch as an intermediate file! please look at the
> result by make:
>
> kkkkkkkk
> hhhhhhhhhh
> rm my.gch

Yes, you're right.

This was a bug in GNU make 3.81, that was fixed in GNU make 3.82:

        $ cat /tmp/x2.mk
        .INTERMEDIATE: my.gch
        %.all: %.gch
                @echo hhhhhhhh
        %.gch:
                @echo kkkkkkkk
                @touch $@

        $ ls -al my.*
        ls: cannot access my.*: No such file or directory

        $ ./make --version
        GNU Make 3.82
        Built for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
        <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
        This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute
        it.

        $ ./make -f /tmp/x2.mk my.all
        kkkkkkkk
        hhhhhhhh