Re: [Help-smalltalk] Status update

From: clemensF
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Status update
Date: 15 Jun 2002 19:22:59 +0200

> Bonzini:

> I have made some progress with the NetworkClients stuff.  The code cleanup
> is complete, the only parts still to be tested are NNTP.st and
> URIResolver.st; IMAP passes its test suite though I don't really believe
> that's enough to have it talk to a real server -- however, once I go through
> the remaining two files, it will be enough for 2.0.
>
> Also in the networking area, I have recently refactored the TCP stuff to be
> more easily extendable to IPv6, and tested UDP support more thoroughly.

this sounds as if gnu-smalltalk slowly but surely becomes a real-world
alternative to the "mainstream".  as an absolute newcomer, i cannot really
say if this is a praise or an insult, although i hope it isn't the latter.

what i would like to have is a curses based, or even text-only class
browser, because i don't really like the GUI stuff.  will 2.0 have such a
simple browser?  or, what's the reason to make it so complicated, using
Tk/Tcl at the very least?

--
clemens fischer