Re: [Help-smalltalk] Status update

From: Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Status update
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:57:26 +0200

> this sounds as if gnu-smalltalk slowly but surely becomes a real-world
> alternative to the "mainstream".  as an absolute newcomer, i cannot really
> say if this is a praise or an insult, although i hope it isn't the latter.

No, it is a praise, thanks :-)

> what i would like to have is a curses based, or even text-only class
> browser, because i don't really like the GUI stuff.  will 2.0 have such a
> simple browser?

What it does have is the unsupported Emacs-based browser, but I have never
tested it and don't have the knowledge to do so.  I don't think anyone ever
tried it on Emacs 20.x or 21.x -- you could do so.  Any kind of patch will
be accepted for 2.0 if you are quick enough because it is unsupported stuff.

The Blox browser is not so complicated after all.  I was able to extend it
quite easily recently (adding the new Namespace Browser).  But it is in sore
need of code reformatting so that it matches the rest of GNU Smalltalk, and
then of some class refactoring.

> or, what's the reason to make it so complicated, using
> Tk/Tcl at the very least?

Platform independence.  Though sooner or later a Gtk+ version *will* be
available (in the shape of a Gtk+ porting of Blox).

Paolo