Re: Basic Questions

From: Derek Zhou
Subject: Re: Basic Questions
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 10:22:42 -0500

Gary Highberger writes:

> I'm teaching myself GNU Smalltalk.
> • Dual boot Macbook Air running Ubuntu 20.04
> • GST 3.2.5
> • Documentation:
>         https://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual/gst.txt
>         Bluebook
>
> 1.  Does Emacs support gst? Neither .st file text highlighting nor
> interactor mode appear to work. The documentation says gst works with Emacs.
Yes. The gst source distribution contains smalltalk-mode. Or you can use
the newer version smalltalk-mode from ELPA:
M-x package-install smalltalk-mode

> 2.  Is pi and Float supported? The class extend example (area and
> circumference methods) doesn't work.
Yes. pi is not pre-defined though.

> 3.  Does gst have a separate editor mode? The documentation implies it does.

It has a gst-mode that make smalltalk REPL works in emacs. However it is
not maintained for a long time so I don't know. Ro are you talking about
somethine else?
> 4.  I'm using vim as my editor and loading my program using FileStream
> fileIn: 'myfile.st'. I'm debugging using printNl. Is this the best way? Vim
> knows st keywords.
That works too.

> 5.  Does the web server, swazoo, and framework, seaside, work? I couldn't
> get them to run.
Yes. However I haven't try that for a long time.

> 6.  My application is realtime machinery control with web page UI.
>
> 7.  Does gst-browser work?
You mean the gtk GUI? Yes, but I am afraid not many people use that so
get help is not easy.

Derek