RE: Basic Questions

From: Mark Bratcher
Subject: RE: Basic Questions
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 12:21:51 -0500

HI Gary

To add to the answers provided so far, regarding the question of whether gst has a separate editor mode… are you referring to something stated in the GST documentation or the Smalltalk 80 document? Smalltalk, in its purest form, is a whole GUI IDE, which of course includes built in editing, class browsing, etc. The idea is that you develop and execute your Smalltalk program all within that environment. Smalltalk 80 assumes this IDE.

GST is a command-line & text file based implementation of Smalltalk. You’re in the world of using text editors, like `vi` (which does have a decent syntax highlighter for Smalltalk) and doing things from command line. In my case, I created some makefiles to facilitate my gst development. I highly recommend learning about “packages”. If you bundle your code into packages, you can manage them easily, pulling them into your project. Here’s a link to an answer I provided on Stackoverflow which talks very briefly about packages and provides a link: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37054929/using-extended-classes-in-gst-gnu-smalltalk/37076801#37076801.

I’ve used Seaside and the associated web server, so I know that works. You just need to find and read all the information about setting it up. If you search, you’ll find some good online information regarding setup.

Mark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10