Re: [help-texinfo] hyphenation with texinfo

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] hyphenation with texinfo
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:52:25 +0100

 My system is based on sarge Debian. I installed the following packages:
ii texinfo        4.7-2.2        Documentation system for on-line information
ii tetex-base     2.0.2c-1       Basic library files of teTeX
ii tetex-bin      2.0.2-23       The teTeX binary files
ii  tetex-doc      2.0.2c-1       The documentation component of the Debian
tetex

I found four fmtutil.cnf files on my system:
alpha:~# ls -l `locate fmtutil.cnf`
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1146 Nov  3 08:45 /usr/share/man/man5/fmtutil.cnf.5.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 3741 Dec 14 21:30 /usr/share/tetex-bin/fmtutil.cnf
<-------
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 2887 Dec 14 22:07 /usr/share/tetex-bin/fmtutil.cnf.1.0.7
<------
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 4060 Dec 14 21:47 /usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
<-----
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 4060 Dec 14 21:22 /var/lib/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf <----
alpha:~#
Then I modified all fmtutils.cnf files. After I deleted my tex.fmt file located
at
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/. And I ran tex story.

I insert

address@hidden address@hidden

at top of my document.texinfo file.

When I run texi2dvi document.texinto it reports some errors:
alpha:~/docs# texi2dvi document.texinfo
This is e-TeXk, Version 3.14159-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
 file:line:error style messages enabled.
entering extended mode
(/root/docs/document.texinfo
/root/docs/document.texinfo:1: Undefined control sequence       <-----------
?????
/root/docs/document.texinfo:1: Missing number, treated as zero  <-----------
?????
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/texinfo.tex
tables, conditionals, indexing, sectioning, toc, environments, defuns, macros,
cross references, insertions, (/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/dvips/epsf.tex)
localization, and turning on texinfo input format.)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/txi-it.tex) [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]
[-1] [-2] [-3] [-4] (./preface.texinfo
Transcript written on document.log.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: etex exited with bad status, quitting.  <------------ ?????
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: see document.log for errors. <---------- ?????

When I remove the first line in main .texinfo file
    address@hidden address@hidden
texi2dvi doesn't report any errors and it exits ok.

Using this steps, hyphenation doesn't work in Italian mode. It works using
default language :-(

I have noticed another translation trouble. "@documentlanguage it" automatically
translates many words in Italian (chapter, title, summary, ...). These words are
included
in txi-it.tex file but I can't see any reference to "Figure". Is it possibile to
add a new entry
in txi-it.tex for figure caption?

Let me know if you have any idea.

bye,
   tullio

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/bad25f9c44626922

> If this turns out to work, I can document all this and make texinfo.tex
> do the right thing automatically based on the @documentlanguage.
>
> Hope this helps,
> karl

Libero ADSL: 3 mesi gratis e navighi a 1.2 Mega, senza costi di attivazione.
Abbonati subito su http://www.libero.it