Re: [help-texinfo] PGP signature on the texinfo-6.0.tar.xz file

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] PGP signature on the texinfo-6.0.tar.xz file
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 00:11:59 GMT

   I thought that savannah list is my best bet.

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-keyring.gpg is somewhat closer to being
official than savannah, although admittedly it is just a bare file with
no interface.  But it contains, so far as I know, all the keys which are
permitted to upload to (various directories of) ftp.gnu.org, and this is
actually enforced by the upload software we (as maintainers) use.

    normally it is difficult to find a canonical list of the
    maintainers' keys of the project

However, the list of people/keys allowed to upload is also not
necessarily the same as the list of official maintainers.  Those are,
conceptually, two different roles.  /gd/gnuorg/maintainers is the one
and only place with the official maintainers.  (Although various other
places have unofficial lists, including directory.gnu.org and
savannah.gnu.org.)

    No idea why it is so secret

Indeed.  It's not that the names of who-maintains-what is intentionally
a secret.  It's that there's a lot of administrative fooforaw involved
in publishing any information, and it's always easier to just give up
than try to get through all the hassle.  I've tried to do various things
(though not this particular one, I admit) along these lines for many
years, without success, so I've pretty much given up at this point.

Best,
Karl