Re: [help-texinfo] (no subject)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 09:07:47 +0300

> From: Gavin Smith <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 20:43:06 +0100
> Cc: Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden>,
>       "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>
> On 3 October 2016 at 09:07, Takesi Ayanokoji <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Is this only way? For instance, such man-pages system has
> > internationalization support but info-system has or will support
> > internationalization system?
>
> No, it does not. I would suggesting installing a file like
> emacs-ja.info in a "ja" subdirectory of the main Info directory, and
> renaming it as emacs.info, so the full path would be something like
> "/usr/share/info/ja/emacs.info". Then if you put "/usr/share/info/ja"
> ahead of "/usr/share/info" in the Info file search path, looking for
> the "emacs" manual would find the Japanese translation first. I am not
> aware of anyone doing this, though. Perhaps it's worth asking the
> developers of various GNU/Linux distributions if their packages can be
> set up to be installed this way. I think that this method should be
> sufficient and no special support for internationalization is
> necessary as it is done for man pages.
>
> Another point worth noting is that people do not always want to read
> translated manuals: they may prefer to get the original manuals, and
> things should be set up so they can do this easily.

I think having the translated manuals by different names in the same
directories is better, as there won't be a need to tweak INFOPATH
then, and the user can choose which version to read as they see fit.
So, in addition to 'emacs.info', there will be 'emacs-ja.info',
'emacs-de.info', etc., and they all will appear in the DIR file.