Relating multiple index entries to one table item

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Relating multiple index entries to one table item
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 19:44:30 +0100

Hi there,

In the GCC documentation, a construct that often appears is

  @table @gcctabopt
  @item -Wpedantic
  @itemx -pedantic
  @opindex pedantic
  @opindex Wpedantic
  @opindex Wno-pedantic

The problem with this, though, is that all but the first of these index
calls end up in the item body rather than the item itself, meaning that
all but the first index will scroll HTML pages below the actual items.
This result is not very pleasant to see, since it strips away essential
context from the reader.  I tried working around this by interlacing
@opindex calls between /@itemx?/ calls, but that didn't really help.

Looking at the HTML output, it might be possible to make all index
commands "directly following" an item command emit <a id=".."> elements
in the <dt> instead of just an id="..." on the dt itself.  This moves
the page visually down by a pixel or so (for some reason), but otherwise
should produce desirable results.

I've hacked at the code a bit to try to achieve this, but I haven't been
able to do it so far, so I decided to reach out to ask whether someone
already tried or there's some proper method of doing this that I'm
missing.

Thanks in advance, and have a most wonderful evening!
--
Arsen Arsenović