Re: Relating multiple index entries to one table item

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: Relating multiple index entries to one table item
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 17:55:13 +0100

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 03:29:29PM +0100, Arsen Arsenović wrote:

> The solution of using an indexing table command (like @vtable) seems to
> be the better one generally, though.

It does not solve the case of wanting more than one index entry per
table item.

> I see now that the generic case is
> in the TODO; I'll see if I can work on that next week (as I have quite a
> bit of work already added up for this week).  What I was imagining is
> making @def[code]index generate an @XXtable command, where XX is the
> name passed to @def[code]index; does that sound okay?

It looks consistent with the language, but having @-command dynamically
generated is a pain for implementation (other than using @alias or
@macro).  For instance, the dynamically generated @-commands for index
obtained from @def[code]index are not practical in many situations in
implementation, though they are practical for the Texinfo writers.

Using arguments would make implementation easier, in general, in my
opinion.

--
Pat