Re: Relating multiple index entries to one table item

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Re: Relating multiple index entries to one table item
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 14:29:32 +0100

Hi,

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The index entries should precede the first @item, not be after it.  Maybe
> doing so doesn't work in this case, but you should move the index entries
> before the @item/@itemx lines regardless, since otherwise the indexing
> commands will not land you where you want.

With the following,

  @table @gcctabopt
  @opindex Wno-pedantic
  @opindex Wpedantic
  @item -Wpedantic
  @opindex pedantic
  @itemx -pedantic

The index entries indeed take me to the correct location, but, makeinfo
generates:

  <dl class="table">
  <a class="index-entry-id" id="index-Wpedantic"></a>
  </dd>
  </dd>

... and no clickable anchors.

I took a look at the Automake manual, and I noticed that it has to be
doing something right, since it generates the exact results I want.  The
automake manual uses @ftable to get this, and apparently @vtable can do
the same.

Can this be replicated for custom defined indices?  GCC has this major
problem mostly with ``@defcodeindex op'', part of it is that matching
``@opindex'' commands get forgotten on occasion (AFAICT), and the other
part is that the result isn't great.  Trying simply @optable results in
unknown commands, and making @gcctabopt command for the existing @table
also emit @opindex emits a warning (and bad results).

If that can be done, I can write a script to fix up current option
tables pretty easily, as well as any potentially bad results from the
fact it's a hasty script ;)

Thank you in advance, have a lovely day!
--
Arsen Arsenović