Re: WinXP, IMAP, and SSL

From: Marcus Frings
Subject: Re: WinXP, IMAP, and SSL
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:03:00 +0200

* Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:

> If OpenSSL is working, it is probably a problem with Gnus.  You, or
> someone else, need to debug the code to find out why it hangs.
> CRLF-confusion is a common culprit.

I'm also facing some problems with OpenSSL on Windows since a very long
time and I think it's a bug in Gnus.

Situation:

Server: Courier IMAP SSL
Clients: FreeBSD, Linux, W2k.

While I'm just fine with the default value of `imap-ssl-program'

,----[ C-h v imap-ssl-program RET ]
| imap-ssl-program's value is ("openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect
| %s:%p" "openssl s_client -quiet -ssl2 -connect %s:%p" "s_client -quiet
| -ssl3 -connect %s:%p" "s_client -quiet -ssl2 -connect %s:%p")
`----

on my FreeBSD and Linux box I have to set `imap-ssl-program' to

,----
| (setq imap-ssl-program "openssl s_client -tls1 -connect %s:%p")
`----

on my W2k box. The default value doesn't work there but that one
does. Strange. And more important: The only version of the windows
binary of openssl that works is 0.9.6k! I just tried with 0.9.7d
yesterday (and older versions in the past time) but it can't connect to
the server (from Gnus). On the other hand I can successfully connect to
the IMAP server via openssl when I'm on the command line. Possibly a bug
in Gnus? I had also turned on full IMAP debugging and logging but maybe
I missed an important error message. Any hints?

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Wir hatten einen Weg gefunden, wie wir uns keine Vorwürfe zu machen brauchten:
Wir zerhackten sie mit Maschinengewehren in zwei Hälften und legten ihnen dann