WinXP, IMAP, and SSL

From: Nick Hurley
Subject: WinXP, IMAP, and SSL
Date: 22 Jul 2004 14:23:49 -0700

Hi All,

I'm using Gnus 5.9.0 with Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) on
WinXP Pro SP1. I'm trying to get SSL working with it so I'm not forced
to SSH into a *nix machine to have a secure connection to my
mailservers. I finally got Gnus to recognize that I have OpenSSL
installed (in C:\OpenSSL\bin), but Gnus still hangs trying to check my
email with the message

imap: Connecting to mail.cis.ohio-state.edu...done

(or the same, but s/mail.cis.ohio-state.edu/imap.todesschaf.org/,
depending on the mail server).

Eventually, I end up doing C-g to cancel the mail check, and end up
with all my IMAP mailboxen showing up with a "*" for the number of
messages in them. According to the *Messages* buffer, all seems to be
working properly until it hangs and I eventually hit C-g (see below).
I can connect to the mail servers using openssl from the command line
just fine.

I have Gnus set up to put IMAP debug output to the *imap-debug*
buffer, but for some reason I'm not getting anything.

I'm using this setup on many *nix machines with no problems at all,
but I'd like to be able to check email directly from my WinXP machine
without having to SSH into one of my *nix machines. Any help would be
appreciated. I've also included relavent portions of my ~/.gnus

Thanks in advance!
Nick Hurley

;; BEGIN ~/.gnus relevant portions
(require 'nnimap)
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.ks.uiuc.edu"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
        '((nnimap "cis"
                (nnimap-address "mail.cis.ohio-state.edu")
                (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close ask)
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.nnimap-authinfo"))
          (nnimap "todesschaf"
                  (nnimap-address "imap.todesschaf.org")
                  (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))
                  (nnimap-stream ssl)
                  (nnimap-expunge-on-close ask)
                  (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.nnimap-authinfo"))))
;; END ~/.gnus relevant portions

;; BEGIN *Messages*
Reading c:/.newsrc.eld...
Reading active file from news.ks.uiuc.edu via nntp...
Reading active file from cis via nnimap...
Opening nnimap server on cis...
imap: Connecting to mail.cis.ohio-state.edu...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -ssl3 -connect
%s:%p'...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -ssl3 -connect
%s:%p'...done
Waiting for response from mail.cis.ohio-state.edu...done
imap: Connecting to mail.cis.ohio-state.edu...done
Quit reading the active file
Reading active file from todesschaf via nnimap...
Opening nnimap server on todesschaf...
imap: Connecting to imap.todesschaf.org...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -ssl3 -connect
%s:%p'...done
Waiting for response from imap.todesschaf.org...done
imap: Connecting to imap.todesschaf.org...done
Quit reading the active file
Opening nnimap server on cis...

Opening nnimap server on todesschaf...

No new newsgroups