Re: trouble seeing new mail

From: David Hanak
Subject: Re: trouble seeing new mail
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:27:00 -0500

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004, upro wrote:

> During the past couple of weeks it has happend sevefral times that I
> had new mail on my mail server, but after retrieving the mail I could
> not see it in gnus.
>
> No configuration has changed, so I doubt that the problem is in my
> .gnus. The new mail is removed from my server so I cannot see what it
> was. There are also no new groups on my system.
>
> Also after starting gnus without init file I can't see the new mail.
>
> Has anyone else experienced that problem? And maybe found a solution?

When you say there are no new groups on the system, do you mean the
Group buffer doesn't display any new groups, or you have checked the
filesystem for the new group files/directories?

If only the former, then that's perfectly normal behavior.  Mail
splitting can create new groups automatically, but these will not show
up in the group buffer immediately.  To "find" them, press first 'F'
(find new newsgroups) then 'A Z' (show all zombie groups) in the group
buffer, and you should be able to see the new groups.  Then select
them, and by pressing 'S l' set a level larger than 6.

--
David Hanak - Research Engineer
Institute for Software Integrated Systems  |  http://www.isis.vanderbilt.edu