Re: How to set up gnus email for novices with little mastery.

From: Alexandre Russel
Subject: Re: How to set up gnus email for novices with little mastery.
Date: 01 Oct 2004 01:10:34 +0900

> > Well, what I was thinking was just a basic commented .gnus file
> > similar to what one finds in, say, the Apache httpd.conf file.  Just
> > enough stuff to let users get their e-mail and respond to it, read
> > newsgroups, have a sig, etc.  The bare minimum to get Gnus's basics to
> > work.
I am a gnus newbie so understant(I think...) what you would like
 but if a new user doesn't want to read doc, doesn't want to read
 link that would take at most an hour to read I don't think he
 should be using gnus. If you use google group you can post, read
 and search whatever you want and in that case it should be enough.
 Gnus make you save time if you put enough time in it. It is not
 about power user uses gnus but about what is right for you.

Anyway here is my commented .gnus file for a newbie, just read and
cut and paste:
------start----------
;;say your name is bob pip
;;say your email address is bob@whatever.com
;;say your news provider is news.gnus.org
;;the last information can be use as is, news.gnus.org is good
;;say that your ISP is providing pop service
;;that is you can access your mail using pop
;;whith a password, say pass
;;then add in your .gnus file:
(setq user-mail-address "bob@whatever.com")
(setq user-full-name "bob pip")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gnus.org"))
(setq mail-sources '(
        (pop    :server "mail.whatever.com"
                :user "bob"
                :password "pass")))

If you put that in your .gnus file you should be able to get
something, if not, post a message and you will learn the beauty of
gnus...maybe
Regards,
Alex