Re: Basic setup of Gnus for IMAP mail

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: Basic setup of Gnus for IMAP mail
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:05:27 -0500

napofrog@hotmail.com (Roger Levy) writes:

> I'm trying to set up Gnus to work as an IMAP mail client at home, for
> the mail server at my university.  I think I have the basic settings
> right:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>  '((nnimap ""
>          (nnimap-address "<myname>.pobox.<my-university>.edu")
>          (nnimap-list-pattern "INBOX")

That tells Gnus that the only group you're interested in is
nnimap:INBOX.  The default value, "*", lets it look at all of the
groups on the server.

>          (nnimap-stream ssl)
>          (nnimap-server-port 993)))
> )
>
> but I can't find any nnimap groups to subscribe to.

Can you otherwise connect to the IMAP server?  Can you browse it from
the server buffer ("^" from the group buffer)?

For my work setup, all I do is set

      gnus-select-method '(nnimap "smtp.example.com"
                                  (nnimap-stream ssl))

and it works great.

(For just checking whether your IMAP server exists, you might try a
different MUA.  At MIT, I'll occasionally browse my IMAP mailbox using
mutt, but for heavy-duty reading I use Gnus with IMAP fetching into
nnml.)

  --dzm