Re: Basic setup of Gnus for IMAP mail

From: jean . magnanb
Subject: Re: Basic setup of Gnus for IMAP mail
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:09:33 +0100

fsf@contents-vnder-pressvre.mit.edu>...
>> napofrog@hotmail.com (Roger Levy) writes:
>>
>> > I'm trying to set up Gnus to work as an IMAP mail client at home, for
>> > the mail server at my university.  I think I have the basic settings
>> > right:
>> >
>> > (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>> >  '((nnimap ""
>> >       (nnimap-address "<myname>.pobox.<my-university>.edu")
>> >       (nnimap-list-pattern "INBOX")
>>
>> That tells Gnus that the only group you're interested in is
>> nnimap:INBOX.  The default value, "*", lets it look at all of the
>> groups on the server.
>
> Yeah, I tried this too, no dice.
>

>> >       (nnimap-stream ssl)
>> >       (nnimap-server-port 993)))
>> > )
>> >
>> > but I can't find any nnimap groups to subscribe to.
>>
>> Can you otherwise connect to the IMAP server?  Can you browse it from
>> the server buffer ("^" from the group buffer)?
>
> Thanks for this tip.  In the server buffer, I get
>
>   {nnimap:} (denied)
Maybe your problem is a permission problem. I use this:
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnmaildir "courrier"
                                           (directory "/home/jean/.mail"))
                                      (nnimap "Free"
                                      (nnimap-address "imap.free.fr")
                                              (nnimap-authenticator login)
                                                      (nnimap-authinfo-file
                                      "/home/jean/.authinfo"))
)
an then the .authinfo file permits authentication to the server.