Re: HTML display

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: HTML display
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:34:06 +0000

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 09 2005, David Sumbler wrote:
>
>> I looked at the Gnus manual, and thought I would try html2text or
>> links, but at the moment the variables gnus-article-wash-function and
>> mm-text-html-renderer, mentioned by the manual, don't even seem to
>> exist.  (The manual seems to imply that they ought already to exist.)
> [...]
>> I'm using Emacs 21.3 on Fedora Core 2.
>
> You should look at the manual corresponding to your version of Gnus.
> `mm-text-html-renderer' doesn't exist in Gnus 5.9 which comes with
> Emacs 21.[1-3].  I'd recommend to upgrade to Gnus 5.10.6.
>
> Like others already mentioned, many people prefer emacs-w3m as a
> renderer function: (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)

I took your advice, and installed Gnus 5.10.6.

Instantly the HTML washing works!

As for the absence of a .gnus file: presumably one has to create this
oneself.  Certainly Gnus reads the .gnus file I created which only
currently has one line:

(setq fred 'joe)

Well, obviously that was just for testing purposes.

Perhaps the reason that my gnus variables all seem to be in .emacs and
not in .gnus is that I have tended to use the "customization"
interface (e.g. by pressing 'G c' in the Group buffer) to make
changes, rather than editing the .gnus file directly.

I still haven't solved my other problem, but I'll post to the relevant
thread.

Thanks for your help.

David