Washing Unicode?

From: Oliver Jennrich
Subject: Washing Unicode?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:48:07 +0100

Let me put the question first and explain then, what I mean:

Is there an (easy) way to get rid of 'useless' Unicode characters in
articles?

'Useless' is not meant in a pejorative way but specifies those unicode
characters for which there exist perfectly acceptable counterparts in
the usual iso-set.

For some reason, the number of posters who use unicode as a coding
system for their articles is increasing, even if all they are using
are accented letters, as German umlauts (ä, ö, ü), the sharp s (ß) or
others such as á or é.

I am thinking along the line of the 'washing' options, which seem to
pre-process the body before displaying it. Any ideas, how to adapt one
of the existing ones (or writing a new one, if needed)?

--
Space - the final frontier