Re: Washing Unicode?

From: Aidan Kehoe
Subject: Re: Washing Unicode?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:57:49 +0000

 Ar an dara lá déag de mí Eanair, scríobh Oliver Jennrich:

 > Let me put the question first and explain then, what I mean:
 >
 > Is there an (easy) way to get rid of 'useless' Unicode characters in
 > articles?
 >
 > 'Useless' is not meant in a pejorative way but specifies those unicode
 > characters for which there exist perfectly acceptable counterparts in
 > the usual iso-set.
 >
 > For some reason, the number of posters who use unicode as a coding
 > system for their articles is increasing, even if all they are using
 > are accented letters, as German umlauts (ä, ö, ü), the sharp s (ß) or
 > others such as á or é.

That would be me :-) .

 > I am thinking along the line of the 'washing' options, which seem to
 > pre-process the body before displaying it. Any ideas, how to adapt one
 > of the existing ones (or writing a new one, if needed)?

If your XEmacs has Mule support, and the Mule-UCS package installed, try
running evaluating (require 'mule-ucs) before running Gnus. (From a cursory
Google search, there doesn’t appear to be anything preventing the use of
that package under Windows.)

--
“Ah come on now Ted, a Volkswagen with a mind of its own, driving all over
the place and going mad, if that’s not scary I don’t know what is.”