Re: Washing Unicode?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Washing Unicode?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:42:36 +0100

On Wed, Jan 12 2005, Aidan Kehoe wrote:

> If your XEmacs has Mule support, and the Mule-UCS package installed, try
> running evaluating (require 'mule-ucs) before running Gnus. (From a cursory
> Google search, there doesn’t appear to be anything preventing the use of
> that package under Windows.)

XEmacs 21.4 on Windows doesn't support MULE at all.  CMIIW.

Maybe Oliver will find Oliver Scholz' hack useful:

,----
| ;;; xegu8-hack.el --- Read UTF-8 articles in Gnus on non-mule XEmacsen
|
| ;; Copyright (C) 2004 Oliver Scholz
|
| ;; Author: Oliver Scholz <epameinondas@gmx.de>
|
| [...]
|
| ;;; Commentary:
|
| ;; "xegu8-hack" stands for "XEmacs/Gnus UTF-8 hack".  There are still
| ;; versions of XEmacs without Mule and thus without support for UTF-8.
| ;; This can be annoying if you are using Gnus on such an XEmacs and
| ;; encounter mail or news articles encoded in UTF-8.
|
| ;; This package is a hack that replaces UTF-8 characters in the
| ;; article buffer with their Latin-1 counterparts.
|
| ;; Note that there is no need for such a hack and that you should not
| ;; use it, if you are using GNU Emacs or an XEmacs with Mule.
`----

Oliver Scholz intended to put this file on emacswiki, but by a quick
google search, I could not find it there.  Here is a copy of the file:
http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/misc/xegu-hack.el

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,