Displaying different character sets on console

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Displaying different character sets on console
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:25:54 +0000

I run Emacs 21.3 and Gnus v5.10.6 on a utf-8-enabled console (i.e. not
under X).

I have an e-mail which contains some Greek characters.  The headers
include the lines:

The default console font on my Fedora Core 2 system is
latarcyrheb-sun16, which does not include Greek characters.

I have tried doing Meta-! setfont gr928a-8x16 and suchlike, but I get an error:

putfont: KDFONTOP: Operation not permitted

What do I need to do to display such a message correctly?

David

--

David Sumbler

Please reply with a followup to the newsgroup.

However, if you _really_ want to send me an e-mail,
replace "nospam" in my address with "aeolia".