Re: Displaying different character sets on console

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: Displaying different character sets on console
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:53:19 +0100

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:25:54 +0000, David wrote:

> I have an e-mail which contains some Greek characters. The headers
> include the lines:

I am curious as to why the headers specify a Japanese charset to
tranfer Greek letters?

 "Introduction

   This document describes the encoding used in electronic mail [RFC822]
   and network news [RFC1036] messages in several Japanese networks. It
   was first specified by and used in JUNET [JUNET]. The encoding is now
   also widely used in Japanese IP communities.

   The name given to this encoding is "ISO-2022-JP", which is intended
   to be used in the "charset" parameter field of MIME headers (see
   [MIME1] and [MIME2])."

    <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1468.html>

  Best regards,

--
 "Spread your love like a fever                               Adam Sjøgren
  Don't you ever come down"                              asjo@koldfront.dk