Automatic retrieval of certificates (S/MIME)

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Automatic retrieval of certificates (S/MIME)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:13:41 +0100

Hi,

today I've been playing around with the S/MIME stuff in Gnus.  While
it all works as expected there is one glitch that I can't fix anyhow.

When I send a message to a friend using his certificate to encrypt and
mine to sign the message I have to explicitly state which certificate
to use for signing (at least this is filled with a reasonable default
from smime-keys) and which for encryption (this is just a
read-file-name on the smime-certificate-directory.  It would be very
nice if those were picked according to the recipients email adress
taken from the "To:"-header and the "From:" adress respectively.

Furthermore the sending of the message keeps asking me for another
round of signature and encryption certificate.  This time it's for the
saving of the message in the Gcc-Header (at least I think I found that
by doing some experiments, giving the false encryption argument leads
to my not being able to decrypt the message when viewing my
sent-box).  The most confusing part in this is that I can't see from
the prompts or the message display for which recipient I have to give
the encryption key.

Am I missing something here?  I've dived into mml-sec.el and
mml-smime.el and I think that the insertion of the mml statement
_might_ already contain the certificates but maybe I just didn't
understand it.

Any help/pointers to docs/examples appreciated
Thanks and Regards
Stefan  (new to Gnus, sorry if stupid)
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de