Re: Is the modern Internet destroying GNUS?

From: Phil Stripling
Subject: Re: Is the modern Internet destroying GNUS?
Date: 17 Feb 2005 13:06:56 -0800

pip <ihate@spam.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a recent addition to the Gnus user base and really appreciate its
> power and flexibility but feel a little disappointed I can't use it as
> I would like. With usenet full of spam and emails full of HTML and

I think Usenet has always had more than its share of spam, but gnus has
scoring to get rid of most of it from the newsgroups.

As for email full of HTML, _generally_ it, too, is spam, so who cares? On
the rare occasion it's from someone I know, I email back and say I don't
download or read HTML email because of all the Microsoft viruses.
_Everyone_ knows what I'm talking about. The fact that I'm reading email in
a text-only mail reader while logged into a Linux shell account from my Mac
never gets mentioned. :->

> unquoted references I have a nasty feeling there will never be a way I
> can happily use Gnus at work.

Work is a different issue, if it is _expected_ that you will read email in
all its full HTML glory. Another poster has suggested an option, but if the
workplace requires HTML, the workplace is asking for trouble. C'est la
vie.

> Outlook and Lotus notes are destroying the web :(

True -- well, not the Web, exactly; the internet.

--
Phil Stripling           | email to the replyto address is presumed
The Civilized Explorer   | spam and read later. email from this URL