Re: posting to news.newsguy.com

From: Floyd L. Davidson
Subject: Re: posting to news.newsguy.com
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:39:26 -0900

Michael Powe <michael+gnus@trollope.org> wrote:
>I wonder if anyone else is having problems posting to newsguy.  Last
>week, gnus decided it wouldn't post to gnu.emacs.help.  Today, it's
>decided it won't past to comp.mail.mutt.  I emailed newsguy about it
>last week and their response was that there wasn't anything going on
>with that newsgroup; and the only thing they could see out of the
>ordinary was that my newsreader was disconnecting and reconnecting
>repeatedly in a short period of time.
>
>I have been using gnus for so long that I dread the thought of trying
>something else, but it seems like there's always some little thing
>like this that's getting borked up.  I know I'm being grouchy but
>... I just want it to work.

I used to use newsguy.com as my primary news server, but had an
experience similar to that some time back, and switched to using
my ISP's news service (which they recently changed from another
server to supernews.com, which did not make me at all happy, as
I'd dropped supernews a couple years before in favor of
newsguy...).

Anyway, at one point newsguy did something to their server that
made an older version of gnus stop working, and trying to deal
with them to find out what was going on was nothing short of a
total pain.  Eventually I just upgraded to what was then the
latest version of gnus, and all was well again.  But it really
annoyed me to have a network control type tell me they had done
absolutely nothing, and that if they had a problem there would
be thousands and thousands of complaints, and there weren't.
(I'm a retired long distance telecom weenie, and I *know* that
you can have major disasters that only show up with a few little
complaints... which when investigated turn out to be the tip of
an iceberg with thousands and thousands of calls being dropped!)

Whatever...  I just tried posting to alt.test using newsguy's
server, twice.  It takes the article.  The next time I update, I
see that there is one unread article listed for alt.test.
However, no new article is actually available.  An article
posted to supernews.com did show up, at least on supernews.com,
though not on newsguy.com.  And then, 24 minutes after it was
posted to newsguy.com, the first of my articles has shown up on
supernews.com, but none of them have shown up on newsguy.com as
yet.

It appears they are experiencing temporary technical
difficulties... ;-)

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com