Re: posting to news.newsguy.com

From: Michael Powe
Subject: Re: posting to news.newsguy.com
Date: 04 Mar 2005 20:23:49 -0500

    Floyd> Michael Powe <michael+gnus@trollope.org> wrote:
    >> I wonder if anyone else is having problems posting to newsguy.
    >> Last week, gnus decided it wouldn't post to gnu.emacs.help.
    >> Today, it's decided it won't past to comp.mail.mutt.  I emailed
    >> newsguy about it last week and their response was that there
    >> wasn't anything going on with that newsgroup; and the only
    >> thing they could see out of the ordinary was that my newsreader
    >> was disconnecting and reconnecting repeatedly in a short period
    >> of time.
    >>
    >> I have been using gnus for so long that I dread the thought of
    >> trying something else, but it seems like there's always some
    >> little thing like this that's getting borked up.  I know I'm
    >> being grouchy but ... I just want it to work.

    Floyd> I used to use newsguy.com as my primary news server, but
    Floyd> had an experience similar to that some time back, and
    Floyd> switched to using my ISP's news service (which they
    Floyd> recently changed from another server to supernews.com,
    Floyd> which did not make me at all happy, as I'd dropped
    Floyd> supernews a couple years before in favor of newsguy...).

yeah, i just re-upped on newsguy, too.  i got on them because my isp
went to an outsourcer and there were just all kinds of problems.
articles would disappear, get renumbered -- yeah, that was cool.  that
was a few years ago, though.

    Floyd> Anyway, at one point newsguy did something to their server
    Floyd> that made an older version of gnus stop working, and trying
    Floyd> to deal with them to find out what was going on was nothing
    Floyd> short of a total pain.  Eventually I just upgraded to what
    Floyd> was then the latest version of gnus, and all was well
    Floyd> again.  But it really annoyed me to have a network control
    Floyd> type tell me they had done absolutely nothing, and that if
    Floyd> they had a problem there would be thousands and thousands
    Floyd> of complaints, and there weren't.  (I'm a retired long
    Floyd> distance telecom weenie, and I *know* that you can have
    Floyd> major disasters that only show up with a few little
    Floyd> complaints... which when investigated turn out to be the
    Floyd> tip of an iceberg with thousands and thousands of calls
    Floyd> being dropped!)

    Floyd> Whatever...  I just tried posting to alt.test using
    Floyd> newsguy's server, twice.  It takes the article.  The next
    Floyd> time I update, I see that there is one unread article
    Floyd> listed for alt.test.  However, no new article is actually
    Floyd> available.  An article posted to supernews.com did show up,
    Floyd> at least on supernews.com, though not on newsguy.com.  And
    Floyd> then, 24 minutes after it was posted to newsguy.com, the
    Floyd> first of my articles has shown up on supernews.com, but
    Floyd> none of them have shown up on newsguy.com as yet.

    Floyd> It appears they are experiencing temporary technical
    Floyd> difficulties... ;-)

Well, they "batch post" -- posts go out every 15 minutes.  So, there
is an annoying delay in there.  But I am able to post in here and in
alt.test at the same time i can't post in the other newsgroup.  it's
just weird.  Gnus acts like it's sending, an article ID is generated,
but it's hung.  If i leave it long enough, the connection will close.

Thanks.  I may have to give the isp connection another try.

mp

--
'cat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.