Re: bitstream vera sans mono ugly in gnus

From: Peter Petersen
Subject: Re: bitstream vera sans mono ugly in gnus
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 02:21:02 +0100

Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> writes:

>  > What could I do to find out where the problem is? (launching emacs from
>  > within gnome-terminal and losing all the non-ascii characters)
>
> You need to work out what character encoding gnome-terminal is using, and
> then run M-x set-terminal-coding-system RET iso-8859-1 RET, for
> example. It’ll be either that or utf-8. Once you’ve worked out which is
> right, add
>
> (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> to your ~/.emacs.

Unfortunately, this doesn't change anything...

What I found, however:
It seems to be related to the TERM environment variable.
If I launch gnome-terminal and do a "export TERM=linux" and then launch
emacs -nw I am not only able to see the "Umlaute" but I am also able to
type them (just like on the virtual text console).

Though not everything is perfect - for instance, in your above post
apostrophes are replaced by question marks...

Strange, if instead of emacs -nw I launch "vi" or lots of other programs
in the same kind of "gnome-terminal" (with a TERM setting of TERM=xterm)
I am able to type non-ascii German characters, not so with emacs.

Ideas?

Peter