Re: bitstream vera sans mono ugly in gnus

From: Peter Petersen
Subject: Re: bitstream vera sans mono ugly in gnus
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:26:48 +0100

Peter K. Lee <saint@corenova.com> writes:

> Not sure if this is an option, but when I ran into the same problem, I
> ended up using 'emacs -nw'
>
> Use a terminal emulator (i.e. gnome-terminal, rxvt, etc.) that has Xft
> support, and run emacs in non-windows mode.

This is a great tip! :-)

Especially when combined with "gnome-terminal". Finally "bitstream vera
sans mono" looks very nice and the font size can be varied in a very
flexible way. Moreover, colours can easily be dimmed or changed in other
ways thanks to all the easy settings of "gnome-terminal".

Well, I miss the mouse a little bit and the normal menu bar, but hey, it
isn't a tragic loss... Anyway I had used emacs before on a text console,
so it is not that much of a learning process.

Thanks as well to all the other posters and their font suggestions.

Peter