Re: jed -> gnus newbie

From: notbob
Subject: Re: jed -> gnus newbie
Date: 04 May 2006 00:23:10 -0700

Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:

> Well you can use
>
> (setq user-full-name "NOT BOB")
> (setq user-mail-address "notbob@myplace.org")

Holy freakin' crap! ...thanks, Glyn.  Gawd, I thought I was never
going to find those variables ...well, actually I still haven't, but I
know what to look for now and it seems to work.  I posted to a test
ng ok.

> BUT if you use posting styles you can do that and more and when you are
> ready do it on a per-group basis.  Here are a few (munged) blocks from my
> posting-styles section. (See section 5.5 of the Gnus manual)

Thanks, I'll use these, too.

> http://my.gnus.org/tutorial/Mail.html#Mail
>
> section 7.2

Again, thanks.  Sometimes emacs documentation is so vast and emacs so
complex, one gets completely lost in it.

> personally I use good old fetchmail to download the mail  and dump it in
> /var/spool/mail/glyn

OK, I've set fetchmail up before when I used pine.

> Good luck

I'll need it.  No, jes kidding ...I'm doing ok.  I've finally reached
the point where I no longer need to use other apps while just
diddling around in emacs.  I can stay in emacs for many of the things
I do.  But, I still have lots to learn.

Again, thank you
nb