Re: jed -> gnus newbie

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: jed -> gnus newbie
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 12:05:42 +0200

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

Hi,

> 3. Is it possible to logon to my NNTP server with ssh?  Howzabout with
>    xemacs?

You can connect to your nntp server with ssl or tls.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Direct Functions") ]

`----

>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki
>
> That reminds me.  What's the command to go to a URL? ...and where do I
> set a browser?

Normally RET on a URL should go to that url with the browser you defined
in the variable

,----[ C-h v browse-url-browser-function RET ]
| browse-url-browser-function is a variable defined in `browse-url.el'.
| Its value is browse-url-generic
|
| Documentation:
| *Function to display the current buffer in a WWW browser.  This is
| used by the `browse-url-at-point', `browse-url-at-mouse', and
| `browse-url-of-file' commands.
|
| If the value is not a function it should be a list of pairs (REGEXP
| . FUNCTION).  In this case the function called will be the one
| associated with the first REGEXP which matches the current URL.  The
| function is passed the URL and any other args of `browse-url'.  The
| last regexp should probably be "." to specify a default browser.
`----

There are several browse-url-* functions for different browsers.

>> And for all those lovely packages which ensure that you will _never_
>> have to leave Emacs ever again ............
>
> How to change to root from user so I can do a quickie sysadmin.  Or,
> must I start emacs from root?

You can do that with TRAMP. Normally you simply open the file like this:

`C-x C-f /su:root@localhost:/path/to/file'

HTH,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!