Re: Possible Gnus/Emacs 22 Tramp bug?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Possible Gnus/Emacs 22 Tramp bug?
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:12:45 +0200

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

Hi Tim,

> I'm running on Debian with emacs 22 snapshot and gnus-version says No
> Gnus v0.4 (Debian package 5.11+v0.4.dfsg).
>
> When I try to save an article with 'O b', I get the error "Not a valid
> tramp filename'. This is because the group I'm reading is a foreign
> group and tries to save it in the file
> ~/News/my.isp.com+nntp:gnu.emacs.help/...
>
> It seems emacs 22 is seeing the + and : in the filename as an
> indicator it is a tramp filespec, which shouldn't happen since it
> starts with a tilde rather than a / and the + and : are not in the
> first component (I'm gussing).

Works for me. TRAMP gets loaded but doesn't get in my way. I remember
there were some changes made to TRAMP loading/startup last week, but
they shouldn't be related, I think.

Perhaps you tweaked the value of `tramp-file-name-regexp'? That's the
default I'm using here:

,----
| tramp-file-name-regexp is a variable defined in `tramp.el'.
| Its value is "\\`/[^/:]+:"
`----

Both Gnus and Emacs are CVS snapshots from last saturday here.

,----[ C-h v gnus-version RET ]
`----

,----[ C-h v emacs-version RET ]
| emacs-version is a variable defined in `version.el'.
| Its value is "22.0.50.1"
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
"Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life."
     - David Kastrup in alt.religion.emacs -