Re: Possible Gnus/Emacs 22 Tramp bug?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Possible Gnus/Emacs 22 Tramp bug?
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:33:58 +1000

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
>> I'm running on Debian with emacs 22 snapshot and gnus-version says No
>> Gnus v0.4 (Debian package 5.11+v0.4.dfsg).
>>
>> When I try to save an article with 'O b', I get the error "Not a valid
>> tramp filename'. This is because the group I'm reading is a foreign
>> group and tries to save it in the file
>> ~/News/my.isp.com+nntp:gnu.emacs.help/...
>>
>> It seems emacs 22 is seeing the + and : in the filename as an
>> indicator it is a tramp filespec, which shouldn't happen since it
>> starts with a tilde rather than a / and the + and : are not in the
>> first component (I'm gussing).
>
> Works for me. TRAMP gets loaded but doesn't get in my way. I remember
> there were some changes made to TRAMP loading/startup last week, but
> they shouldn't be related, I think.
>
> Perhaps you tweaked the value of `tramp-file-name-regexp'? That's the
> default I'm using here:
>
> ,----
> | tramp-file-name-regexp is a variable defined in `tramp.el'.
> | Its value is "\\`/[^/:]+:"
> `----
>
> Both Gnus and Emacs are CVS snapshots from last saturday here.
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-version RET ]
> | gnus-version is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
> | Its value is "No Gnus v0.6"
> `----
>
> ,----[ C-h v emacs-version RET ]
> | emacs-version is a variable defined in `version.el'.
> | Its value is "22.0.50.1"
> `----

Hi Tassilo

I've not changed the tramp filename regexp from its default. However,
while I've got the same emacs version as you, my gnus version says No
Gnus v0.4". I'm guessing your running Debian unstable? I'm actually
running Debian Testing with the emacs-snapshot from unstable. That
probably explains the differences.

If its working for you, I won't bother with a bug report as it has
probably been dealt with.

Actually, now that I think about it, I did an upgrade today to the
newest emacs-snapshot. I'll have to check to see if the issue has been
resolved since.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au