a couple of newbie questions with gnus

From: Martin Jørgensen
Subject: a couple of newbie questions with gnus
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 18:28:00 +0200

Hi,

1) Earlier today I could browse usenet-messages simply by clicking "enter" on top of the message in the "*Summary (group-name)*" window. But there was one news-group in which I must have screwed something up.

It didn't show me the messages anymore, but it instead it showed an "G." to the left, instead of the usual "R." (for read I suppose). This is in the group where it works:

R. [  11: Hadron Quark           ] Gnus+bbdb
 .     [  10: Henry Atting           ]
 .         [  11: Hadron Quark           ]
 .             [  26: Henry Atting           ]
 .                 [  25: Hadron Quark           ]

What does it mean if the "R." becomes a "G." ?

2) Another newbie question: What does that star mean in front of the group-name in the "*Group*"-buffer? Like here:

 6119: comp.lang.c
   46:*gnu.emacs.gnus

This group has a star, but comp.lang.c doesn't...?

3) How to mark all messages as read? In future sessions, I would also like only to see threads with new messages... That's how my thunderbird is set up now...

p.s. Well, I still need to learn to post with gnus so I've send this message from thunderbird - I'm also not too familiar with emacs, so I probably have a long way ahead of me...

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Martin Jørgensen

Home of Martin Jørgensen - http://www.martinjoergensen.dk