Re: a couple of newbie questions with gnus

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: a couple of newbie questions with gnus
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 11:19:34 +0200

unoder.spam@spam.jay.net (Martin Jørgensen) writes:

Hi Martin,

> Thanks a lot! Everything seem to work now - this message is from
> gnus...

Congratulations!

The tutorial is here: http://my.gnus.org/tutorial/

> or something... There are still a lot of small "problems" that annoys
> me a bit...

One of which is that you poste too long lines, right?

To automatically wrap lines at 72 chars, put something like that into
your ~/.emacs (or ~/.gnus.el, but message-mode belongs to emacs, so I
have it in its init file):

(add-hook 'message-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq fill-column 72)
            (turn-on-auto-fill)))

To reformat a paragraph simply hit `M-q'.

,----[ C-h k M-q ]
| M-q runs the command fill-paragraph
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `fill.el'.
| It is bound to M-q.
| (fill-paragraph ARG)
|
| Fill paragraph at or after point.  Prefix ARG means justify as well.
| If `sentence-end-double-space' is non-nil, then period followed by one
| space does not end a sentence, so don't break a line there.  the
| variable `fill-column' controls the width for filling.
|
| If `fill-paragraph-function' is non-nil, we call it (passing our
| argument to it), and if it returns non-nil, we simply return its
| value.
|
| If `fill-paragraph-function' is nil, return the `fill-prefix' used for
| filling.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
"Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life."
     - David Kastrup in alt.religion.emacs -