Re: Learning gnus for email only

From: harel barzilai
Subject: Re: Learning gnus for email only
Date: 1 Jan 2007 21:40:22 -0800

Thanks again for the updated gnus tutorial web page...I think I have
most of the "Set-up"
figured out except the mail source..and the tutorial has a broken link
for more information
on mail sources, unfortunately..

The tutorial in http://my.gnus.org/tutorial/Mail.html#Mail I was able
to follow until then, and so far I've put in my .gnus.el the following

 (setq user-mail-address "usera@harelbarzilai.org")
(setq user-full-name "Harel's Test Account")

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnmaildir ""))

(setq smtpmail-local-domain "harelbarzilai.org")
(setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "harelbarzilai.org")
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems

though the internal "CCC Anyone out there who can give more info?"
comment next to listing "nnmaildir" , made by the author(s) of the
Tutorial has me a tad worried.. The broken link is to "See Mail Source
Specifiers (Gnus)," which points at
http://my.gnus.org/gnus/Mail-Source-Specifiers.html#Mail-Source-Specifiers";
which doesn't exist. Perhaps I should notify the tutorial authors? In
any case, the only examples they give for mail-sources are of the form,

 (setq mail-sources '((pop :server "frumple" :user "jrl")))

Let me preface my next and last question by saying: I must confess I've
been living in a cave as far as pop servers..have just ssh'd into shell
and used "Mail" or rmail since 1989..emacs fan
since then (well rmail  plus university's preinstalled software, plus
now gmail) but never
ever used outlook eudora etc,  only shell or emacs commands..now my
question: somewhere in its docs dreamhost tells me "mail.mydomain.com"
(or in this case "mail.harelbarzilai.org") is the pop mail server..but
dont' I somehow need to tell gnus to go looking at ~/Maildir/ for mail?
I'm running gnus from inside emacs, of course and emacs from the shell,
and the shell I'm accessing via ssh via a simple text terminal
program..I know the web browser says it can't find
mail.harelbarzilai.org....so pardon me if I'm confused
but since dreamhost (though ways I don't know and have never needed to
know) have all my
incoming mail delivered to /home/username/Maildir/ also known as
~/Maildir/  , for
each "user" I create for my account, don't I need to just tell gnus to
go look at ~/Maildir?
I think by default it looks in (and/or creates) ~/Mail/ ...how can I
change this to ~/Maildir?

Since the link is broken and I don't know elisp formatting I'd need the
exact line to copy
paste into .gnus.el instead of the above "frumple" example... Sorry if
I'm missing something
but I've read the my.gnus.org tutorial chapter 7 entirely though
including 7.2 (and
earlier portions which gave user-mail-address etc) and need this last
piece to finish
the set-up of .gnus.el for reading email, it seems.

Wishing everyone a safe and fulfilling 2007 :-)

Harel