Re: Learning gnus for email only

From: harel barzilai
Subject: Re: Learning gnus for email only
Date: 2 Jan 2007 12:36:00 -0800

I mean, basically, it seems that it should be the case that I shouldn't
need to have anything
do deal with pop servers directly, since I'm not using a mail client
e.g. eudora...my earlier
settup was

a) ssh into my shell  via plain text terminal ; run emacs from the
shell ; use rmail from emacs (Which read the spool file ~/INBOX
directly and I didn't need to tell emacs/rmail anything or know
anything about pop

versus now, with the dreamhost "testing 1..2..3.." account where the
incoming email
is not in ~/INBOX mbox format but rather in maildir format, in that
user's ~/Maildir/  the setup
would be:

b)  ssh into my shell  via plain text terminal ; run emacs from the
shell ; use gnus from emacs (Which
I want to just tell it to look at ~/Maildir/ )

so there isn't  that big a difference..my comments were only re my
mostly
ignorance and lack of exp. w/pop...but looking at how similar b) is to
a) it seems like
if I'm happy to just use the old ssh via termianl program, then run
emacs, then gnus wouldn't
need to know about (and I wouldn't need to worry about) the whole world
of pop, any
more than I did when using a) ....is that not correct? if I'm correct,
then I just need
(per my post last night, below) the exact code syntax for telling gnus
to look
at ~/Maildir/ (and to put messages there) when I specify what gnus
calls mail-source
...that's all I (think/hope :-) I need to know...

Harel