Re: Learning gnus for email only

From: Slackat
Subject: Re: Learning gnus for email only
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 07:48:23 +0100

"harel barzilai" <barzilai@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks again for the updated gnus tutorial web page...I think I have
> most of the "Set-up"
> figured out except the mail source..and the tutorial has a broken link
> for more information
> on mail sources, unfortunately..
>
> The tutorial in http://my.gnus.org/tutorial/Mail.html#Mail I was able
> to follow until then, and so far I've put in my .gnus.el the following
>
>  (setq user-mail-address "usera@harelbarzilai.org")
> (setq user-full-name "Harel's Test Account")
>
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnmaildir ""))
>
> (setq smtpmail-local-domain "harelbarzilai.org")
> (setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "harelbarzilai.org")
> (setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems
>
> though the internal "CCC Anyone out there who can give more info?"
> comment next to listing "nnmaildir" , made by the author(s) of the
> Tutorial has me a tad worried.. The broken link is to "See Mail Source
> Specifiers (Gnus)," which points at
> http://my.gnus.org/gnus/Mail-Source-Specifiers.html#Mail-Source-Specifiers";
> which doesn't exist. Perhaps I should notify the tutorial authors? In
> any case, the only examples they give for mail-sources are of the form,
>
>  (setq mail-sources '((pop :server "frumple" :user "jrl")))
>
> Let me preface my next and last question by saying: I must confess I've
> been living in a cave as far as pop servers..have just ssh'd into shell
> and used "Mail" or rmail since 1989..emacs fan
> since then (well rmail  plus university's preinstalled software, plus
> now gmail) but never
> ever used outlook eudora etc,  only shell or emacs commands..now my
> question: somewhere in its docs dreamhost tells me "mail.mydomain.com"
> (or in this case "mail.harelbarzilai.org") is the pop mail server..but
> dont' I somehow need to tell gnus to go looking at ~/Maildir/ for mail?
> I'm running gnus from inside emacs, of course and emacs from the shell,
> and the shell I'm accessing via ssh via a simple text terminal
> program..I know the web browser says it can't find
> mail.harelbarzilai.org....so pardon me if I'm confused
> but since dreamhost (though ways I don't know and have never needed to
> know) have all my
> incoming mail delivered to /home/username/Maildir/ also known as
> ~/Maildir/  , for
> each "user" I create for my account, don't I need to just tell gnus to
> go look at ~/Maildir?
> I think by default it looks in (and/or creates) ~/Mail/ ...how can I
> change this to ~/Maildir?
>
> Since the link is broken and I don't know elisp formatting I'd need the
> exact line to copy
> paste into .gnus.el instead of the above "frumple" example... Sorry if
> I'm missing something
> but I've read the my.gnus.org tutorial chapter 7 entirely though
> including 7.2 (and
> earlier portions which gave user-mail-address etc) and need this last
> piece to finish
> [...]

Personally I use fetchmail to bring in mail from pop servers

Basically I use my own azurservers.com for mail, but it's nice to
have backup facilities, so storing it in /root and ignoring the groans
from the system: '.fetchmailrc'

poll pop.MY_POP-SERVER.fr proto POP3 user 'william.henderson' password
'PASSWORD' is 'billhenderson'  here
poll pop.MY_POP-SERVER.fr proto POP3 user 'billhenderson'     password
'PASSWORD' is 'billhenderson'  here
poll pop.MY_POP-SERVER.fr proto POP3 user 'slackrat'          password
'PASSWORD' is 'slackrat'       here
poll pop.MY_POP-SERVER.fr proto POP3 user 'daveycrockett'     password
'PASSWORD' is 'daveycrockett'  here
poll pop.MY_POP-SERVER.fr proto POP3 user 'joannevalliere'    password
'PASSWORD' is 'joannevalliere' here
poll pop.MY_POP-SERVER.fr proto POP3 user 'lysrossitier'      password
'PASSWORD' is 'lysrossitier'   here
poll pop.MY_POP-SERVER.fr proto POP3 user 'meggydupres'       password
'PASSWORD' is 'meggydupres'    here
poll pop.MY_POP-SERVER.fr proto POP3 user 'avatarazur'        password
'PASSWORD' is 'avatarazur'     here

## NOTHER-POP-SERVER.COM
#poll mail.NUTHER_POP-SERVER.com  proto POP3 user 'slackrat'          password
'PASSWORD' is 'inconnu'  here
#poll mail.NUTHER_POP-SERVER.com  proto POP3 user 'henderson_we'      password
'PASSWORD' is 'inconnu'  here
#poll mail.NUTHER_POP-SERVER.com  proto POP3 user 'daveycrockett'     password
'PASSWORD' is 'inconnu'  here

=================

/etc.rc.d/rc.local starts fetchmail

# Bring in the Mail
echo "  "
echo INFORMATION: Starting FetchMail
/usr/bin/fetchmail -f /root/.fetchmailrc -d 600 -K

========================

/home/inconnu/.gnus or .emacs since I'm not fussy

;; WHERE  ARE THE INBOUND MESSAGES STORED AND WHERE SHOULD GNUS PUT THEM
(setq nnmail-spool-file '(
   (file :path "/var/spool/mail/inconnu")
   (directory :path "/home/inconnu/Mail")
)