Re: An Idea for Gnus

From: Randy Yates
Subject: Re: An Idea for Gnus
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 10:11:04 -0500

Michael Widerkrantz <mc@hack.org> writes:

> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>
>> I sometimes like to work at "lightning speed" and don't want to wait
>> for 30 seconds (or more) for gnus to send a message to the server and
>> copy the sent message into the sent message folder. It "Sure Would Be
>> Nice" (TM) if gnus could be made "multitasking"so that message
>> transmission is done in the background while control of gnus is returned
>> immediately back to the user.
>
> Do you have to do this in elisp?
>
> The standard way is to have a local MTA on your machine do this for
> you, usually sendmail, exim or postfix.
>
> The usual way to configure them is to use a smarthost for delivery,
> perhaps with authentication.
>
> If you think sendmail, exim or postfix are overkill on your
> workstation, consider using ssmtp or a similar lightweight mail
> deliver client.

That's an idea, but the server waiting time is only part of the
story. Due to the way gnus stores sent mail in one long file, that
file has grown to be quite large, and now every time I send a mail
it takes some number of seconds for gnus just to append the sent
mail to the end of that file.

Is there a way to move mail in the sent folder to another folder
so that a) this file size doesn't affect the sending of new messages
and b) I still have it available in a gnus-compatible folder for
searching and reading?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "With time with what you've learned,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  they'll kiss the ground you walk