Re: An Idea for Gnus

From: Michael Widerkrantz
Subject: Re: An Idea for Gnus
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:17:13 +0100

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

> Due to the way gnus stores sent mail in one long file, that
> file has grown to be quite large, and now every time I send a mail
> it takes some number of seconds for gnus just to append the sent
> mail to the end of that file.

Do you use a single nnfolder for archiving all your outgoing messages?

You can fix this in a number of ways. One way is to automatically
create a new nnfolder every month, like this:

  ;;; Archive my outgoing messages, both mail and news in a group called
  ;;; out.year-month. Use the nnfolder backend for the archives.
  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((concat "out." (format-time-string
                           "%Y-%m" (current-time)))))

I keep them in a Topic called "Outgoing archive" and get a list like
this on the top level:

  Outgoing archive: 12190
    out.1999-05: 15 (77)
    out.1999-06: 110 (118)
    out.1999-07: 69 (88)
    out.1999-08: 196 (197)
    out.1999-09: 280 (350)

    out.2007-11: 118 (127)

The number in parentheses are the total number of messages in that
folder. Taken together they all currently take up 65 MB worth of sent
messages since May 1999 when I had this configuration set up. I send
very little attachments, so this is mostly text written by me. Wow.

--
MC, http://hack.org/mc/