Re: msmtp and multiple smtp servers

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Re: msmtp and multiple smtp servers
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 18:14:47 +0100

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>

> [...]
>
>> I tried the solution here:
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusMSMTP
>>
>> What happens is that gmail smtp servers replaces my "from" email with
>> the one matching the first authinfo entry for "smtp.gamil.com".So When I
>> send an email using one of a couple of posting styles the recipient sees
>> the "id1@gmail" as the from instead of "id2@gmail" despite the fact that
>> msmtp had the from correctly set as id2@gmail in the .msmtprc file.
>>
>> It is all quite confusing.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>
> ummm...I wrote the first half of the page, so if you explain what's
> the issue, I could revise the page for the better.  Maybe your Emacs
> config for gnus and msmtprc without the identifying info could be a
> good start.

The issues is the multi smtp server part. I am just looking for one
person who can confirm it works using the cg-feed-msmtp function at the
end of the page. Is some setting not working which is causing the issue?
I use posting-styles too btw : but I still used the fs-change-smtp to
set the smtpmail-auth-credentials ( in an el file in plaintext). When I
tried to move to using the cg-feed-msmtp function what else needs to be
set? The correct profile seems to be picked up but then msmtp goes on to
use .authinfo for some reason (I assume from the fact that google is
rewriting my from address and this msmtp is picking the wrong smtp login
and I think its getting it from .authinfo - if I remove the authinfo
lines for smtp.gmail.com then I get an smtp protocol error. Why is that?
Surely everything it needs is in the .msmtprc?

Note : I did get it to work from the command line using the -d log
option to see correct settings.

I dont have time now but I will try and cobble together an example soon.

> Before sending the email, try checking the variable
> message-sendmail-extra-arguments to see whether it points to the
> correct alias of msmtprc profiles.

It does.