Re: msmtp and multiple smtp servers

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Re: msmtp and multiple smtp servers
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:02:58 +0100

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>>>

>>> [...]
>>>>

> [...]
>

>> OK, the problem is narrowed down.
>>
>> the account is correct. But its not matching the .msmtprc section.
>> Instead it is dropping through to the default e.g
>>
>> ,----
>> | account abc
>> | user abc@gmail.com
>> | password abc123
>> |
>> | account rgr
>> | user rgr@gmail.com
>> | password rgr123
>> |
>> | account default : rgr
>> `----
>>
>> in this case if the "from" is logged using message in the multi-smtp
>> function then message correctly reports that account "abc" was selected
>> into variable account. But the actual user & password picked up for the
>> smtp chat with the gmail servers is that of rgr above : the default
>> account.
>>
>> I have latest msmtp 1.4.13.
>>
>> This then makes me think there is indeed a problem with
>>
>> (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments (list "-a" account))
>>
>> But examining it tells me
>>
>> message-sendmail-extra-arguments's value is ("-a" "abc")
>>
>> Is this correct? Has something changed here?
>>
>> So what else can I do to debug? I am dreading this being something so
>> obvious with my config file.
>
> Does your posting style look similar to this?
>
> (setq gnus-parameters
>       '((".*news\\.gmane\\.org.*"
>        (visible . t)
>        (display . all)
>        (posting-style
>         (address "nsivaram.xxxxxx@gmail.com")
>         (name "Sivaram Neelakantan")
>         (eval (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "siva")))
>         (user-mail-address "nsivaram.xxxx@gmail.com")))
>       (".*nnfolder:.*"
>        (posting-style
>         (address "sssss@gmail.com")
>         (name "Ssssss")
>         (body "Sssss")
>         (eval (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "sssss")))
>         (user-mail-address "ssssss@gmail.com")))))
>
> Obviously, the sendmail args go into effect only when I *enter* the
> specific folders.  The second argument is the account names in the
> msmtprc file.
>
> 1.  Set the posting styles match for 2 different folders and check the
> message-sendmail-extra-arguments value in each case (by entering the
> folder) to see whether it changes from one value to the other.  If it
> doesn't, fix your posting styles, first.
>
> 2.  Then send an email and check the logs and the sent mail folder on
> gmail to check which smtp account it used.

I know which one was used : the one which appears as the "from" when it
is received - google automatically replaces anything in the "from" with
the user logged into the smtp server.

However, everything is now solved.

And it's embarrassing.

Almost line 1 of the Wiki.

I changed to No Gnus 0.6 and it worked. Since I had an emacs-snapshot of
emacs 22 then I assumed (wrongly) that I had recent Gnus. I have no real
idea what No Gnus v Gnus means but it works now.

What the difference is that makes it work is unknown to me.

Thanks for your support.